|Language:||English • Русский|
Firstly, download Minetest for your operating system and extract it somewhere you can access it.
Installation will differ depending on your operating system. Here are instructions for each OS:
Open the extracted folder and look for the bin folder. Open bin and run minetest.exe.
OS X Installation
Open the extracted folder and run the .app.
If you can, download the version already compiled for your distribution of GNU/Linux. If you can't find one, you can compile it yourself from here.
Now that you have it installed you can either; play singleplayer, play on a local server or play online by connecting to a server.
To play singleplayer simply create a world and click Play.
You can choose minetest_game or minimal development test. While minetest_game is just the normal game, minimal development test is a start with some resources and a Tester Tool.
Creating a password/account is done by:
- Login to a server (it can be local, but not singleplayer) without a password (this is for the first time setup only)
- Once connected to the server, press Esc and click the "Password" button.
- Enter your desired password here, leaving the "Old Password" box empty.
- You have now created a Minetest account! To log in with this name in the future you must use your chosen password.
Most of these can be changed in the “Change Keys” menu. For a more complete and accurate list of controls, see Controls.
The default and most important controls are:
- W/A/S/D: Move
- Space: Jump
- Left mouse button: Attack, mine blocks, move a stack of blocks/items in inventory
- Right mouse button: Use (open chest/furnace), place blocks, drop item, move one or split blocks/items in inventory
- Middle mouse button: Move 10 blocks/items in inventory
- Mouse wheel: Select block/item in hotbar
- 1-9: Select block/item in hotbar
- Q: Drop block/item
- I: Inventory
- T: Chat
- Shift: Descend on ladders or when flying, sneak/walk slower
See this video for the basics about Minetest.